The Public Art Across Maryland (PAAM) New Artworks Grant offers funding to artists and organizations to support the planning, creation, and installation of new local public art projects.
- Planning Grants: $5,000
- Project Grants: up to $20,000
There are two grant deadlines in FY2023:
October 24, 2022
March 24, 2023
The application will open in SmartSimple in mid-July. Join us for a Public Art Across Maryland Grants How-to-Apply Webinar, Thursday, July 21, 12 - 1:30 pm. Click here to register here.
New to public art? Register for our Making it Public Workshop Series for Administrators. Deadline to register August 15, 2022. Click here to register.
Interested in serving as Public Art Grant Review Panelist? MSAC relies on a diverse array of experts from across the state of Maryland to do the important work of evaluating applications. To learn more and apply by Aug 15, 2022, click here.
Applicants must be a/an:
- Independent Artist living in Maryland
- Non-profit organization
- Unit of government
- County Arts Agency or Arts &Entertainment District
Planning Grant awards up to $5,000 to support independent artists or organizations creating public art proposals with communities.
Project Grant awards up to $20,000 to independent artists or organizations to support the fabrication and installation of new public artwork. The artwork must have been developed through a community process, and be fully designed including identification of the artist(s) creating the work.
MSAC utilizes a multi-disciplinary, statewide grant panel to electronically review and score applications.
Before submitting a completed application, refer to the FY22 New Artworks Scoring Rubric for the complete scoring criteria panelists use to evaluate applications.
PAAM New Artworks Planning Grants may be used for:
- Administrative fees related to community activities and/or selection of the artist
- Artist fees and/or honorariums for artwork design and proposal development
- Consultant fee(s)
- Facility/equipment rentals for community meetings
- Online application software fees
PAAM New Artworks Project Grants may be used:
- Paying artists, fabricators, and individuals to fabricate and install the public artwork
- Renting equipment and/or space needed for fabrication and/or installation
- Purchasing artwork materials and/or tools for fabrication and/or installation
- Transportation of the artwork to the site
- Administration/Project Management fee may not exceed 15% of the project budget
Independent Artists or Organizations apply via the secure online grants application software SmartSimple. Log in or create a free account at marylandarts.smartsimple.com.
- Applicants are required to complete and submit their applications by electronic means, including the use of an electronic signature.
- Technical support for SmartSimple is available during regular office hours.
- Lost, misdirected or late applications are the sole responsibility of the applicant.
- Applicants must meet all revision deadlines after submission, as specified in writing, or the application will be withdrawn.
February 18, 2022
May 13, 2022
- New Artworks Grants will be awarded throughout the fiscal year.
- Applications submitted after a quarterly deadline will be reviewed in the following quarter.
- Applicants will receive notification of application status within six weeks of the quarterly deadline.
- If awarded, applicants will receive payment 6-8 upon receipt of the fully executed grant agreement.