Free Tickets for NEA National Heritage Fellowships Concert at the Music Center at Strathmore in Bethesda on Sept 23
Maryland's own Warner Williams is a fellowship recipient and will perform!September 20, 2011News
Washington, D.C. – Where can you see Mardi Gras Indians in full regalia, taiko drummers, a saxophonist playing Bulgarian wedding music, and a Piedmont blues artist, all sharing the same stage? At the 2011 National Endowment for the Arts National Heritage Fellowships Concert, taking place Friday, September 23, 2011 at 8:00 p.m. at the Music Center at Strathmore in Bethesda, Maryland. Free tickets are now available online at strathmore.org or in person at the Music Center at Strathmore ticket office, 5301 Tuckerman Lane in Bethesda, Maryland, and the House of Musical Traditions, 7040 Carroll Avenue, Takoma Park, Maryland.
The concert also will be webcast live at arts.gov at 8 p.m. EST for those unable to attend in person. An archive of the concert will be available following the event.
Nick Spitzer, host of public radio's American Routes, will emcee this evening of conversations, demonstrations, and performances, featuring the 2011 NEA National Heritage Fellows, recipients of the nation's highest honor in the folk and traditional arts.
The 2011 NEA National Heritage Fellows are:
- quilter Laverne Brackens (Fairfield, TX)
- Mardi Gras Indian Chief Bo Dollis (New Orleans, LA)
- Taiko drum leaders Roy and PJ Hirabayashi (San Jose, CA)
- slack key guitarist Ledward Kaapana (Kaneohe, HI)
- Old Regular Baptist singer Frank Newsome (Haysi, VA)
- frame drum player and percussionist Carlinhos Pandeiro de Ouro (Los Angeles, CA)
- Piedmont blues songster Warner Williams (Gaithersburg, MD)
- Bulgarian saxophonist Yuri Yunakov (Bloomfield, NJ)
- folklorist Jim Griffith (Tucson, AZ) , recipient of the Bess Lomax Hawes NEA National Heritage Fellowships award for his significant contributions to the preservation and awareness of cultural heritage.
For more information on the artists, please visit arts.gov.
PLEASE NOTE: All unclaimed tickets will be released 15 minutes before the concert. A stand-by line will begin at 7:00 p.m.