Donna spent most of her life as a self-taught artist focused on graphite and acrylic. While she “dabbled” and remained drawn to art, she all but put away the easel to raise a family, attend college, and foster a career. Once retired from banking, she started her artistic work anew. Her first move, she found a good instructor and mentor. Secondly, she picked up pastels, an entirely new medium for her. The more she explored what these fabulous little sticks of pigment could do, the more she pushed herself into unknown territory. When asked “Why pastels?” she stated, “I don’t do anything by half. Finding a mentor that is both a great guide and fierce friend was paramount. She sparked a passion in me. I discovered what I seldom found in the acrylics. It’s the softness, the life, and the way the light just bounces off of the pieces. I just can‘t get enough.” In two short years, Donna conquered a virtually unknown medium to having her own exhibitions in pastel. And as she says, “I am so fortunate to be able to do what I love, and I’m just getting started!” Donna has grown, and quickly. She is now a multi-Award winning Artist.
Partial list of Donna’s Memberships and Exhibitions:
1. An active member of- Allegany Arts Council, Central Pa Pastel Society, and Washington County Arts Council
2. Listed on the website of the Maryland State Art Council
3. Juried into the Gallery of the Garrett County Arts Council and the Members Only Show for 2012
4. 2012 Mountain Maryland Plein Air; a juried event held each June in Cumberland, MD
5. The Best of Local Artist Exhibition for 2011, 2012, 2014. Held at the Washington County Arts Council, Hagerstown MD
6. May 2012 Featured Artist for Uart Facebook Page
7. 2011, 2012, 2013 Mountain Maryland Art Sale and Tour
8. Local exhibitions around the Cumberland/Allegany County area from 2007-2019
9. Solo Exhibition: “Mountain Memories” Washington Co Art Council North Gallery, Hagerstown, MD, October 2012
10. Solo Exhibition: March and April 2014: The Fairfax Coffee House Gallery, Berkeley Springs, WV.
11. First President "Appalachian Pastel League"
12. Teaches Oil Pastel Techniques at Allegany College of Maryland from 2016 to date.